Thursday, April 24, 2008

Take 5 Friday Challenge



OK, I know that I'm throwing this challenge out there kind of late in the game. But I have faith in all of you. YOU can accomplish this one...it's so easy, yet many of us just look past it everyday. We overlook this so often that we become oblivious to it.

I'm talking about the things laying around our homes that are obviously destined for the trash bin but somehow don't seem to make it there for one reason or another. I want you to take a LARGE garbage bag and spend 5 or 10 minutes going room to room tossing stuff that is obvious trash.

This may sound simple, but trust me, you'll find more than you think. Your goal is to fill up your bag. This may seem more like cleaning than organizing, but think of it this way, you don't want to waste your precious time organizing things that need to be thrown out anyway. So think of this as a first step.

Come back here and let us know if you met your goal. Were you able to get just one bag full? Two? More?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved the way you said you want a place for the disorganized to feel safe. I went through a closet that has been calling my name for over a year. It looked organized, but when I got to it I donated 2 1/2 large black bags to charity and another smaller bag to the trash. What a GREAT feeling. I love getting rid of clutter even when I don't know I have any until I look deeper.

Unknown said...

I have this innate fear of throwing away pretty much anything. I feel that each purchase has some kind of sentimental value. The other day, I decided to just take a few bags to Salvation Army (goodwill) and I felt as though a weight had been lifted off my shoulders!

Christine Rice said...

One step at a time; That's all it takes! I love how you were both able to find the good in it and feel a relief to let go of the things that were no longer working for you. I know the percieved "value" of some items that you've held on to makes it hard to let go of them. But try to remember what it costs you in terms of space, stress and overall well-being if you don't truly want, need or love the things you live with. Great job!

Copyright 2007, Christine Rice

You are welcome to use any of the information or articles from my blog for your own newsletters or ezines, just be sure to add the following copyright notation:

Christine Rice, Professional Organizer and owner of Organize It Today helps people discover "organizational enlightenment" with the help of her newest book, A Life Less Cluttered: Expert Secrets to Your Own Organizing Epiphany. Visit her website at http://www.organizeittoday.com/ to find out more about her services and products.